There is nothing worse than getting stuck in the beginning or middle of a task when you are working from home because there is no motivation to take you through the completion of the task.
Therefore, whenever you get down to a task as a remote worker, you must ensure you have the things in place that are going to serve as a means of motivation.
And for that reason, I took the time to outline and explain 18 ways you can keep motivated whenever you are working from home.
And I do hope it helps you in the long run after you have finished reading and studying them.
What motivates you to work from home?
What motivates me to work from home are motivational quotes, in fact, I have a list of my most preferred motivational quotes printed and pasted on the walls of my home office.
So before I even write down my schedules for a task, I always ensure I walk around my home office, read and memorize the motivational quotes that will help me to set down the task and complete it efficiently.
But aside from motivational quotes, there are so many ways you can stay motivated as a remote worker and I have taken the time to outline and list them below.
How to keep motivated when working from home.
To keep motivated when working from home, ensure you have a compilation of motivational quotes you have printed and placed on the walls of your home workspace, and make it a habit to read them even before you even set a schedule and continue doing so intermittently while you are executing your task.
Aside from motivational quotes, there are so many things that can help you to keep motivated when working from home, and below are 18 of them I have carefully outlined and explained.
- Keep fit and stay healthy.
- Be curious.
- Create your workspace at home.
- Create a schedule for time management.
- Take it one step at a time.
- Look out for more remote job opportunities.
- Key into the office mindset.
- Collaborate with other remote workers.
- Read motivational quotes.
- Make improvements when necessary.
- Update your work-from-home skills.
- Be optional.
- Learn something new.
- Be happy at all times.
- See the end of your tasks from the beginning.
- Take a break.
- Share your knowledge with others.
- Celebrate your achievements.
1. Keep fit and stay healthy.
Fatigue, mental stress, and small headaches have the tendency of making you tired out and in so doing make you stay off from carrying out the job or tasks at hand.
To avoid this always ensure you keep fit and stay healthy in the following ways:
- Exercise regularly by going for workouts, visiting the gym, etc.
- Drink enough water to stay hydrated.
- Minimize frequent use of alcohol.
- Take a multivitamin supplement.
- Go for medical check-ups every now and then.
- Take medications when you feel a slight illness
- Don’t overwork yourself.
- Maintain a good sleeping habits etc.
Remember, if you suddenly fall sick and end up in the hospital, you will never be able to accomplish any task, so always stick to the saying “prevention is better than cure”.
2. Be curious.
Curiosity is indwelling in everyone, it is innate and natural to even in a newborn child. But somehow, we also fail to use our sense of curiosity to expand our thinking horizons.
Sometimes, we always jump to a conclusion or accept answers without seeking to know if there is another way to get around the question or offer a different solution to the problem at hand.
In the end, this kills our ability or capacity to be motivated.
So always ensure you take out something to be curious about, especially about conventional ideas that everybody accepts. Find another methodology and think about other tools you can use to achieve your tasks rather than the ones you’ve been using every other time.
Below are some ways you can maintain a curious habit or lifestyle:
- Don’t be quick to judge or make assumptions instead, listen in silence and focus on exploring available options.
- Ask too many questions like when, where, why, how, what, etc are the ways curious people are able to get deeper secrets about a subject, situation, etc.
- Own up to errors and look into the possibility of others’ opinions and insights being the right way of getting a job or tasks done.
- Don’t be multitasking, rather focus completely and solely on the task at hand and get it done in time before you move on to the next one.
- Always seek knowledge when you are engaging in any conversation because curious people are always eager to learn something new.
- Be naturally empathetic because empathy will help you to connect with your clients and customers in a very natural and authentic way.
- Avoid boredom because instead of getting bored curious people are always looking to find something interesting they can explore.
3. Create your workspace at home.
Creating your own workspace at home is very crucial for being motivated when you are working from home because it will help you avoid the disadvantages of working from home like interruptions and distractions that might arise from your kids, family members, friends, pets, and even the neighbors you live close by.
Now it is worth noting that creating a workspace at home does not really mean you should get a home office that is separated from your sitting room or bedroom because if you are starting out for instance, there might not be the financial power to enable you to purchase office equipment.
So therefore, in the case where you are sharing a room with someone else, whether your spouse, kids, roommates, or family member gets, dedicate one corner as your workspace and separate it with a curtain. Set up rules for the person or those you are living with to abide by anytime they see that you are committed to a job or task.
But if you have the financial capacity, getting a home office is the best option for a workspace at home.
I have another article that will show you how to create a workspace at home and you can read it now: How To Create A Workspace At Home.
4. Create a schedule for time management.
Starting out on a job or task without a proper schedule might lead to confusion and a loss of interest when you are somewhere deeper in, and in the end, you will realize that you have wasted so much time for nothing.
But you have a schedule laid out before you start executing your tasks, every little achievement or accomplishment is going to motivate you to take on the next step, and in the end, you will be able to get everything done in the appropriate time.
Below are some of the ways you can create a schedule to manage your time effectively:
- Write down everything, whether it’s on a piece of paper, a book, or your laptop and phone notepad, make sure you have all your plans written out in ascending order.
- Highlight your priorities which are the things you will need and do in order to accomplish each of those specific tasks.
- Set a timeframe for accomplishing all your tasks.
- Group your tasks because doing so will help you reuse the same devised method to accomplish the same task immediately.
- Cross out every task you have successfully accomplished and this will motivate you to get on to the next task and accomplish it smoothly.
5. Take it one step at a time.
It is very crucial that you avoid the temptation of jumping to another task when the one at hand is not fully implemented and completed.
Even if you suddenly realize the easiest way you can do a task that is ahead, just write every detail that comes into your head or from your research down with that particular task as the heading and execute them when it is your turn to get on that task.
Taking your tasks one step at a time will allow time for enough motivation that will take you through the completion of the whole task.
6. Look out for more remote job opportunities.
The fact that you have so many jobs or tasks at hand should not be the reason to relax and focus on delivering them without looking out for new ones.
As long as no one knows tomorrow, there might be less or non-availability of jobs by the time you are done with the ones on board.
So you must ensure you keep on implementing the measures of getting new jobs on your lineup list, and the only thing to avoid at this time are jobs that have a limited time for delivery.
For example, if you’ve been using search engines or content marketing as a means of attracting prospective clients to your blog, make sure you keep writing more articles that will help to increase your traffic and bring more visitors.
Never for once think that you are at the peak of your career, or there are enough jobs already line up to keep seeking more.
7. Key into the office mindset.
Those who are working in the office will usually get up very early in the morning to do their chores, take a bath, get dressed, and leave for the office on time.
Have you realized that this is the very thing that motivates them to hold their jobs in high esteem?
Now this is the same mindset you need to adopt as a remote worker, even if your workspace is in the little corner of your room, ensure you rise up early to do the necessary chores, take a bath, and get dressed before you bundle yourself down to a task.
You will realize that while doing so, you will cherish your work-from-home job so much and be more than motivated to do everything possible to become very successful in it.
8. Collaborate with other remote workers in your industry.
We are all in the same industry does not mean that we are using the same methodology or approach to execute a job or task.
For this reason, you must always reach out and collaborate with other remote workers in your industry because it will give you the opportunity to learn how others are doing their own tasks more easily and diligently.
This will in turn give you the motivation to try out new or different ways of accomplishing your tasks aside from the ones you’ve been using all along.
You can check out the article How To Collaborate With Remote Colleagues and learn the best ways to collaborate with other remote workers in your industry.
9. Read motivational quotes.
Whenever you feel lost in the middle of a task or need the motivation that will help you get started with one, there are lots of motivational quotes that can uplift your spirit and help you to stay more focused.
You can go to search engines and type in the query “work from home quotes’ and use the results to select the quotes that will work best for your situation.
Below are some positive work-from-home quotes that can get you started:
- “Fulfillment isn’t found over the rainbow- it’s found in the here and now. Today, I define success by the fluidity with which I transcend emotional landmines and choose joy and gratitude instead.” – RuPaul
- “Carry out a random act of kindness, with no expectation of reward, safe in the knowledge that one day someone might do the same for you.” – Princess Diana
- “I find that I am much more creative when I’ve actually taken care of myself.” – Arianna Huffington
- “Always take some of the play, fun, freedom, and wonder of the weekend into your week and your work.” Rasheed Ogunlaru
- “You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.” – C.S. Lewis
- “I like having my own style; love my work or hate my work, it’s my own.” – Don Watson
- “People are more productive working at home than people would have expected. Some people thought that everything was just going to fall apart, and it hasn’t.” – Mark Zuckerberg
- “Do you want to access talent everywhere, or just in specific markets? If the answer is everywhere, you need to be at least open to the possibility of remote work.” – Katie Burke
- “Good work is good work wherever it is.” – Lesley Ann Warren
- “Wherever smart people work, doors are unlocked.” – Steve Wozniak
10. Make improvements when necessary.
As a remote worker, you have to make occasional improvements to your working performance, workspace, tools, etc.
For example, if you started out with a workspace on the corner of a bedroom you shared with someone else, you can plan on renting another apartment and using it as your new workspace.
You can still do this and continue to live with whoever you are living with, but prepare every day and leave for your home workspace in your new rented apartment. You may even keep this a secret from your roommate and pretend you just landed a new job you are leaving for every morning.
Making improvements will give you a sense of fulfillment and motivate you to keep working hard to achieve more.
11. Update your work-from-home skills.
There are new trends, technologies, and tools being invented every now and then. Currently, we are in the wave of AI, a field, which combines computer science and robust datasets to enable you to solve problems w in a short period of time than you used to do before.
So as a remote worker, you have to constantly be acquainted with all the new trends, technologies, tools, etc. Try them out, and use them to see if they are more perfect and good than all the other ones you’ve been using before.
Being acquainted with new trends will enable you to stay motivated while looking out for more interesting tools to use.
12. Be optional.
Being optional will help you be motivated to try out other new ideas or implement another way of achieving your task if the one at hand fails.
Whereas if you have no option to do something in another way if the present method fails, you are likely going to get stuck or give up on your task, and in the end, you will never be able to rise and accomplish it.
Therefore, before you set out on a task as a remote worker, make sure you have other options in place in case the one you are using does not work out.
13. Learn something new.
While working remotely in a particular industry, you can take out time to learn about new or various topics. There are several online learning platforms where you can take online courses on various topics, or you go on YouTube to watch several tutorials about new industries that pick your interest.
Hopefully, after you are able to learn about several industries and jobs, you will be motivated to take the new step to a new location that might offer more job opportunities.
14. Be happy at all times.
We cannot rule out the fact that there are times when times are tough and as humans we are likely going to feel down and out at such times.
While working from home, the tendency to speak with anyone might deteriorate, and this lack of interaction can affect the physical and mental well-being of a human being.
And for that reason, you must always watch out for anything that might seem to make you unhappy while working from home. Below are some of them II have been able to spot::
- Loneliness and isolation.
- A sense of being detached.
- Loss of focus while working from home.
- Inability to keep up with schedules and routines.
- Difficulty in separating or understanding a work-life balance.
- Losing the fun that’s out there.
15. See the end of your tasks from the beginning.
The ability to visualize how a task is going to end, incredibly successfully, will give a remote worker the needed motivation to get started with that task.
Therefore, before you set out on a task, try and make time to sit down and vividly imagine how the work is going to move smoothly and become successful in the very end.
You can even make a sketch on a sheet of paper or write them down and glance through every now and then while you are executing the task.
The thoughts and feelings of succeeding in a job or task will motivate you to keep your schedules and timings which will lead you to the successful completion of the tasks in a set time.
16. Take a break.
All work and no play has been making Jack a dull boy and now that Jack is old, he cannot even step out from the house to cross the street.
So if you keep working remotely from Sunday to Sunday without play, you will lack the motivation to accomplish your task efficiently.
So ensure that you take a break from your task every now and then to play with the kids, hang out with families and friends, and go on a ride, and sightseeing. And while doing so, look out for those things that align with the task at hand to see the motivation they could bring your way.
17. Share your knowledge and experience with others.
Since you have all the time to manage the world as a remote worker, you need to invest some of those time to find a way of sharing your knowledge and experience with others.
You can do this by starting a blog where you will write articles and optimize them for search engines that will enable people to find them organically. You can also start a YoiTube channel and create tutorials that will help those who are aspiring to work from home like you.
In the end, look out for the feedback you are getting from your readers and visitors because it is from them that you will derive the motivation that will push you to accomplish more.
18. Celebrate your achievements.
One of the tricks office employers use to motivate their employees to work harder is to celebrate their achievements.
They do this by way of promotions, awards, vacations, etc. Having the sense that they are moving from one position to the other in the home office will motivate those workers to put more effort into doing their work diligently.
So while working from home, you can also celebrate your achievements by rewarding yourself in one way or another.
For example, if you complete a task that fetches you a good sum of money, you can purchase a new car, buy a new house, go on a vacation, etc.
And in the end, looking back on the things you’ve achieved so far as a remote worker will motivate you to work hard in order to keep achieving more.