You landed on this page because you were asking the question: how do I start a career in digital marketing? and I assure you that this article will help you to learn how to start a career in digital marketing.
Even though digital marketing has been around for a while now, many people are still doubtful about pursuing it as a career due to some of the reasons and questions we observe below.
- They wonder if it will help them have enough money to put food on their table.
- Is digital marketing here to stay forever, or will it soon vanish or become irrelevant as some careers in the near future?
- What’s the career growth level in this field?
- Can digital marketing offer me any side job?
Thus, as a means of eliminating your doubt about digital marketing, we are going to see why digital marketing should be your career choice for 2022 and beyond.
And without any further ado, let’s jump straight into the wheels of this article and make it a spin.
How do I start a career in digital marketing?
To start a career in digital marketing, there are basically three things you need to learn and understand and they are:
- Why Digital Marketing Is A Good Career Choice.
- Qualities You Need To Have As A Digital Marketer.
- Know all the branches of digital marketing.
Now after learning the two things above, you will find yourself in a better position to choose digital marketing as a career.
Why Digital Marketing Is A Good Career Choice
The following are the reasons why digital marketing is a good career choice:
- You will earn so much as a digital marketer.
- Digital Marketing Will never Fade So Soon.
- Digital Marketing Growth Is Limitless.
- You can take on multiple side jobs as a digital marketer.
1. You will earn so much as a digital marketer.
Entering the digital marketing industry can help you garner a startling income per month.
This income will however depend on your experience and talent, rather than any certification you might have from any source or institution.
Also, your effort and amount of work will contribute greatly to your income or earnings in the industry.
2. Digital Marketing Will never Fade So Soon.
Digital marketing has been found to be growing at the rate of 25-30 every year. And this shows that the industry is never planning on slowing down so soon.
Big multinational companies like P&G are now spending a significant proportion of their marketing budgets on digital marketing, while unicorns like Amazon spend an even higher proportion.
So for those who are thinking that digital marketing is a ‘here today, gone tomorrow’ I want to let you know that, digital marketing is here to stay!
3. Digital Marketing Growth Is Limitless.
There are scores of digital marketing jobs that are not yet discovered! And for that reason, the possibilities of the industry still growing are really limitless.
Moreover, your level of hard work really matters in the industry. If you are able to work long hours building campaigns and pitching for big brands, you will soon be rewarded.
Joining a digital marketing agency can also help you to expand your career in the industry.
4. You can take on multiple side jobs as a digital marketer.
If you are able to grow your brand in the industry and get noticed, you will be able to get some side jobs in some of the big agencies.
If you are knowledgeable in software design, you can land a job designing campaigns for a big digital agency.
You can enroll in online courses and learn any additional skill that might help you be hired by a big digital agency who are always on the lookout for employees.
Below are some of the jobs related to digital marketing:
- Content Marketing Specialist
- Tech Sales Representative
- Social Media Manager
- Digital Marketing Consultant
- UI/UX Designer
- Content Writer
- Data Analyst.
How to land a digital marketing job without experience.
To become a successful digital marketer, you must be an individual that has a comprehensive knowledge of how online marketing is done as well as learn about all the digital marketing techniques, the platforms you will use for advertising and all the processes you need to stick to.
Now let’s see the qualities you need to have as a digital marketer.
Qualities You Need To Have As A Digital Marketer.
Before you consider choosing a career in digital marketing, the basic qualities you must possess are:
- Be a very passionate person and always hold a curiosity about learning and doing something new all the time.
- You must also be creative which means always coming up with fresh ideas that will help you grow as a digital marketer.
- A digital marketer must be innovative, that is have the ability to think outside the box and come up with fresh and exciting new ways to reach out and attract new customers.
- Digital marketing sometimes may be a trial-and-error thing. And for that reason, you must always learn to persevere as a digital marketer until the day you hit gold.
- In order to succeed in digital marketing, it is pertinent that you must always be ready to create short- and long-term goals and work hard towards achieving them.
Additionally, Digital marketing is the best career option for someone who Loves writing, is analytical, and likes solving problems.
He must also enjoy assisting others in finding practical solutions to their problems.
Other qualities are:
- Thriving in a fast-paced working environment
- Enjoying challenges
- Being an objective thinker
- Loving to conduct digital research
- Spends so much time on social media
Know all the branches of digital marketing.
To choose a career in digital marketing, you must also know all the branches of digital marketing which are:
- Search engine optimization (SEO)
- Pay-per-click (PPC) advertising
- Social media marketing
- Email marketing
- Content marketing
- Influencer marketing
It is however not a crime to master all the areas of digital marketing I have mentioned above, but the best option is always to choose and concentrate on a particular area that you master the most.