(A Step By Step Guide)
This article aims to show it’s reader, how to build a website from a mobile phone without using a web app.
Building a website back in the days
Gone are the days, when building a website used to be done by web design experts.
The methods they used was obtaining an internet connection, rent a web space, spend days of mastering how to write HTML.
And once done, they will finally upload their contents on the web space, and view it on a graphical web browser.
Even in this present age, web developers and designers are charging their clients huge amount of money, to enable them get their websites on the cyber space.
Although most of these clients are big business people and corporations, who do not have the chance to settle down and build a website on their own.
There are still countless of them who have the chance to do so, but lack the knowledge of how to even begin.
Another important aspect of building a website was to own a system unit (whether desktop or laptop).
But thank God I am here to let you know that building a website, whether for yourself or business, is as simple as ABC.
And more simple still, I will provide you with a practical step by step guide on how to build a website from a mobile phone without using a web app.
And when you succeed in doing so, you will be able to pass the message across that, one does not need any training as a web developer or designer, in order to be able to build a professional website, even from a mobile phone.
The 4 basic terms associated with web development and design.
First and foremost, in order to build a website from a mobile phone, there are 4 basic terms you have to keep in mind and they are:
- Domain Name – Your own custom web address often called the URL
- Web Host – The internet company or service that will enable your website to be visible on the cyber space.
- C-Panel – An internet control room that will store all your installations and documents as well as help you to manage your domain(s)
- WordPress – A free website platform that will help you to upload and update all your media contents.
Our featured web hosting company
Now since nearly all the web hosting providers charge their customers on a yearly basis.
I will be using Web Hosting Magic, as our feature web hosting company, to offer you this step by step guide on to build a website from a mobile phone.
And moreover, host your website on a platform that is kind enough, to charge their customers on a monthly basis.
Below are therefore the 5 stages you will carefully follow and have your website up and running in no time.
5 stages to build a website from a mobile phone without using a web app
- Stage 1: Domain name and hosting
- Stage 2: WordPress Installation
- Stage 3: Customization
- Stage 4: Adding the basic plugins
- Stage 5: Updating posts and pages.
Stage 1 – Domain Name and Hosting
- Click on this link, and it will take you to Web Hosting Magic landing page, where you will see 2 options: 1. Adaptive Hosting & 2. Adaptive Reseller.
- Click on the “Get started” button of Adaptive Hosting, and it will take you to a page where you will see 4 billing options: 1. Adaptive Origin. 2. Adaptive Starter. 3. Adaptive Pro. 4. Adaptive Max.
N/B: All the defaults billing cycle will be on monthly, so do not change it.
3. Click on the “Get Started” button of Adaptive Origin, which is the cheapest web hosting option, and it will take you the domain purchase or transfer page.
Now since you do not have any domain yet, keep the default “Find a custom domain name”.
Now type in your chosen domain name, and click on the “Check” button.
And if the domain name is available, you will receive a green alert message telling you the name is available.
But in case a red alert message pops up, and tells you the domain is unavailable i.e. someone else already owns that domain.
Continue to make adjustments, and click the check button until you receive the green alert message.
After you get the green alert message, scroll down and click the “Continue” button and it will take you to the review page.
Now mark the following free packages to include in your order:
Billing and payment
4. Now click on the “Continue” and the total amount for your order will pop up.
5. When you see your total amount for order, click on the “Check Out” button.
Fill the personal information and billing address form.
Choose your payment method, and mark the terms of service agreement, and click on the “Complete Order” button.
6. Immediately your payment goes through, wait for a confirmation call and email from Web Hosting Magic account/billing team.
After you receive the confirmation call your account will be activated and you will have to wait 2-3 days for your DNS to spread before you move on to the second stage.
N/B: Check up your email from time to time for your account details from web hosting magic.
Stage 2 – WordPress Installation
At this point, you will see the mail containing your Account Details from Web Hosting Magic.
The most important details on this email are your C-Panel login, which comes as a URL.
- Now copy the username and password and click on the URL which will take you to the C-Panel log in page.
- Insert the username and password accurately and click log in.
- You are now in your c-panel. Scroll down to where you see “Softaculous Apps Installer” and click on “WordPress”.
- Now click on “Install” on the top of WordPress account.
- Now adjust the following settings in the installation page:
On the Software Setup do the following:
- Choose installation URL – Keep the default https://
- Choose Domain – Insert your domain here.
- In Directory – Erase the WP.
On the Site Settings do the following:
- Site Name – Choose the name you’d like to give your website.
- Site Description – State the aim or mission of your website here in other words a short bio of the products and services you will offer on the webpage.
- Enable multisite – Leave blank.
On the Admin Account do the following:
- Admin Username – Choose the name you’d like for your wordPress user login.
- Admin Password – You can copy out and save the default or delete and insert a strong password you will remember.
- Admin Email – Delete the default and type in your main email address.
On the Choose Language keep the default ‘English’.
On the “Select Plugins” do not select any plugins because you will later install them in your wordPress dashboard.
Don’t touch anything on the Advanced settings.
Insert your email in the email installation blank space and click on install.
After the installation completes, you will receive a configuration message with 2 URL links:
- A link to your website and
- A link to your WordPress dashboard i.e. your Administrative URL
Now click on your Administrative Url which will take you to your WordPress dashboard where you will have to make certain changes to your website before you start uploading your media contents.
Stage 3 – Customization.
You are now in your WordPress dashboard as the admin, which means, you are in absolute control of your website.
And the first thing you have to do here is to customize your site.
Customizing your site is the same thing as saying designing your site, and there are 2 ways to do this:
- Drag and drop builder
- Using a theme.
As a newbie I would advise you to use the later method.
Using a theme
Now let’s begin the step by step guide on how to do this.
- Click on the link “Change your theme completely” which is under the Customize your site blue button.
- The default theme for every wordpress website is always their current theme for the year which also bears the name of the year spelt out. So for this year 2020, the default theme for wordpress is “Twenty Twenty”
Now you are not going to use that so go ahead and click on the “Change” button.
- A browser will pop up with 2 options:
- Install Themes
- WordPress.org themes.
Now click on wordpress.org themes and it will take you to hundreds of WordPress free themes. Click on the Install and Preview button of any of the themes you like and wait for the installation of the theme to complete.
- Once the installation is complete. Click the “Customize” button of the theme you have installed and make the following changes.
- Click Menu and mark all the blank buttons. Click the blue Publish button and once it’s done click the back button to return to the theme preview page.
- Click on Widgets and go to side bar and change the text to type in a short bio of your site.
If the theme has a top widget, then change the text and input your contact details.
Once all this is done, click the blue publish button and afterwards the X button to return to your dashboard.
Stage 4 – Adding Plugins
At this stage, you will have to add few important plugins in order to put your site on the right shape for uploading and updating your media stuffs.
So under Menu click on plugins and when the plugins area pop up click on Add New to install and activate the following default plugins you will find there.
- Akhismet Anti Spam
- Classic Editor
- JetPack by WordPress
When you finish installing and activating these plugins.
Go back and click the Add New under plugins and type in the following plugins in the search area to install and activate.
- Yoast SEO
Stage 6 – Updating Post And Pages
- Go to menu and click on “All posts” and once the posts are highlighted, click on “trash” to delete every default posts.
- Go back to menu and click on Pages, once the pages are highlighted performing the following actions:
- Trash the “Sample Page”
- Click on the header of the default home page (The new unoma opens its doors), delete the write up and replace with either ‘Home Page’ or ‘Welcome to your sites name’.
- Click on “Publish or Schedule” to make the necessary changes to your site.
You can preview your site at this point, and afterwards move on to manage your site from your mobile phone.
Get a PDF of this article
N/B: Since this article deploys a practical approach, the best way to achieve it’s aim is through a printed out PDF file.
That is why this article is available on PDF.
So that, you can download and print out for easy reading and practical use.
After building a website the next step is to manage that website, follow the link below to know how.