In the modern day music industry, it is very easy for musicians to release their music without looking up to any record label.
Thus, independent artists in Nigeria should start thinking of breaking into the mainstream without the support of a record label.
Digital music distribution, streaming platforms, social media, online marketing tools, and technology advancements are fast changing the way musicians today can release music and reach a wider audience.
Therefore, when starting out your music career, you have to ask yourself if you should release music as an independent artist or sign a deal with a record label. This guide lists the advantages and disadvantages of releasing music as an independent artist.
ADVANTAGES OF RELEASING MUSIC AS AN INDEPENDENT ARTISTE.
1. 100% control of your music:
Independent artists have 100% control over their master recordings, digital distribution, marketing, messaging, tours, shows, and lots more.
Moreover, an independent artist has the free will to make decisions about their creative vision. They can willingfully make any music of their choice.
Whereas, signed artiste can only song about what their record labels desire.
2. Keeping 100% of your profits:
As an Independent artists, you are free to keep 100% of the profits generated from your music sales, streams, merchandise, licensing deals and other revenue sources.
3. Owning your music rights.
Independent artists own the master rights to their music. Thus they have the freedom to negotiate their music licensing and publishing deals. Moreover, they don’t have to worry about confusing contracts, hiring expensive lawyers, and signing over their music rights to someone else.
4. Using online music services.
The digital era provides a variety of music services and tools for independent artists. In the modern world, musicians have access to music distribution, marketing, streaming, merchandise creation, and other services.
The internet also makes it easy for musicians to reach new audiences. They can now deliver their music to digital music stores, music platforms, and streaming services, even without signing a record deal.
THE DISADVANTAGES OF RELEASING MUSIC AS AN INDEPENDENT ARTISTE.
1. Lack of resources and budget.
Funding your music recording, distribution, marketing, merchandise, touring, and other expenses are usually very expensive.
Many independent artists in Nigeria lacks the resources and money, and for that reason only a record label can advance such expenses.
2. No networking.
Independent artists starting their music career in Nigeria will always lack a network of fans and industry contacts.
Whereas record labels already have a larger fanbase as well as connections with music industry professionals such as promoters, booking agents, media, etc.
3. Limited music business experience.
Learning the basics of the music business is so challenging, because it requires so much time and experience.
There are lots of parts to manage, trends that are continously changing, music laws, and much more.
Thus, you need to go through expensive lessons in order to figure out what works and what doesn’t.
4. Time & commitment.
Aiming to become an independent artist is really time-consuming.
Releasing your music alone can seem like a full-time job. It requires a lot of time to set up distribution, create all the release assets, develop a marketing strategy, track sales, book shows, and everything else associated with releasing music. All this extra work also takes away valuable studio time.
So therefore, before you conclude becoming an independent artiste, take all this advantages and disadvantages into consideration.
CLICK HERE if you want to learn the music business.
Our recent post: How To Manage A Website From A Mobile Phone.
- Motivational Quote Of The Day: Monday, September 27, 2021.
- How To Sign Up For Audiomack Account.
- How Google Detects Invalid AdSense Clicks And Activities.
- 12 Ways To Prevent Your Google Adsense Account From Being Suspended Or Banned In 2022.
- How To Create A Playlist On Audiomack.
- Motivational Quote Of The Day: Sunday, September 26, 2021.
- How To Get Quality Backlinks For Your Blog In 2022.
- How To Produce High Quality Music In Your Small Home Recording Studio.
- How To Get Cheap Web Hosting Providers In Nigeria.
- More Ways To Make Money From Audiomack.
- Motivational Quote Of The Day: Saturday, September 25, 2021.
- The Best Plugins Used In Recording Studios In Nigeria.
- How Musicians Can Start Earning Money From Their Audiomack Streams.
- Current Prices Of Studio Equipments In Nigeria.
- How To Edit Songs On Audiomack.
- Motivational Quote Of The Day: Friday, September 24, 2021.
- How To Set Up A Small Home Recording Studio.
- List Of Things To Do If You Want Google AdSense Approval Very Fast.
- List Of Things To Avoid If You Want Google AdSense Approval Very Fast.
- What Are The Tips To Easily Get Google AdSense Approval In 2022.